If you are a Jack Nicholson fan, then in his film the Five Easy Pieces, you would recall how he asked for a chicken salad sandwich. He then goes to set aside the mayo, lettuce, chicken and butter, because all he really wanted was only the toast- he couldn’t persuade the waiter to get him something that was technically not on the menu. Luckily for you, you don’t have to put yourself through the same ordeal, as restaurants nowadays allow items to be removed from dishes or allow you to order special items.
If you are someone who has made the switch to plant-based diet, then you would be finding it hard to pick out spots that offer pure plant-based foods that you can chow down on. Here are some of the tips that you can bank on when you want to stay true to your plant-based eating regimen even on a night out:
- Make sure to check out the restaurant online before you set foot. Go through the review of the restaurant. Are there good experiences, especially for plant-based eater? Do they have a good plant-based spread that is devoid of cheese, dairy and animal meats?
- Pick out the dish that you want to order from their online menu. Make sure that it is low-fat and packed with veggies.
- Restaurants might sometimes not update their websites, and hence it would be wise for you to make a call to the restaurant and ask them if that particular dish is on the menu.
- Look out for baked, grilled or steamed options.
- Avoid the dishes that are deeply fried, crispy or rich and creamy.
- When you are at the restaurant, don’t be shy to ask the waiter what you want. You would be surprised as to how welcoming to your request the chef, staff and the restaurant owner could be.
- If you are in a sub shop, then make sure to pile the sub with veggies, vinegar and mustard for the dressing.
- Order a pizza minus the cheese, loaded with all of the plant-based toppings. You can ask for extra sauce. For a no oil version, you can ask them to hold the dressing and just add the vinegar. There are many restaurants that offer dried herbs, seasonings like garlic, and onion right on the table for you to add on to pack the flavor.
Stick to these pointers and you are sure to enjoy fruitful experiences dining out.